Thursday 11 April 2013

XKCD - because we are geeks

Have you ever come across XKCD? It's a brilliant online comic, occasionally (read: often) very geeky, written by the equally brilliant Randall Munroe and goes with the description "A webcomic about romance, sarcasm, math and language." It also has the following warning message: 

this comic occasionally contains strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and advanced mathematics (which may be unsuitable for liberal-arts majors).

Amongst my uni friends it's commonly used for procrastination or random references and hence something I read regularly. Because it's mainly stick figures I couldn't resist trying it out as a nail design. I only found one other person online who'd tried it, so it was easier to find my own favourites with a bit of help from friends. 

I spent a fair amount of time sketching ideas. This included thinking about what would fit on a nail, which ones could be recognisable to regular readers etc. When asking around, Click And Drag came out as a big favourite, a strip which caused the geeks of the Internet to dance of joy. Because the image is huge, there was a lot to choose from, but most wouldn't be very easy to fit on a nail either in size or detail.
In the end, I opted for the following comics on my right hand: thumb, index, middle, pinky. The man, who I refer to as "hat man", on the ring finger appears often, so I decided not to note which comic this pose was taken from. The computer is admittedly also frequently recurring, but I remember writing that one down since it included more details.
On my left hand I tried including previously mentioned Click and Drag by drawing the balloon-flying character over ring and middle fingers. The pinky was used to type out the comic name, for those who might not recognise it (I was unlikely to forget myself), and on the index finger I went for this one.
On the right thumb, I tried drawing one of these guys but I was a bit too keen when adding the top coat so it smudged. I tried with the velociraptor from this one but would have needed a steadier hand (hence it not being shown).

As base I used Rimmel London's Grey Matter and drew with a nail art pen from Topshop (which unfortunately, after one use, has managed to dry up. It might have been cheapish but I expect more than that from Topshop!) Colour details were done with Sharpies.
I'm really sorry about the rotation, Blogger auto-rotates it for me but doesn't give an option of changing it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment